Applications are invited for an Arts, Design or Humanities researcher to undertake an internship, supported by a stipend, to develop their digital and creative skills. The internship seeks to develop skills in managing visual archival data and proposing creative deployment of images for commercial use.
The internship will include evaluating the content of the archive of a creative sector company; advise how images can be digitally managed and stored, including the potential cost implications; suggest how they could be marketed to access new customers. The internship and image repository are linked to the Judges’ Ltd archive of UK local view images dating back to 1902.
During the internship, in consultation with the project team, the researcher will:
- Research the images of the archive held by Judges Ltd.
- Investigate and propose a data management plan for the archive for digitising, processing, archiving, preserving and publishing/sharing of images with the appropriate copyright/licensing options.
- Propose a digitisation protocol, including acquisition/editing processes, formats, quality criteria, equipment, budget, time frame.
- Introduce an appropriate metadata protocol to enable consistent image documentation, findability and retrieval.
- Suggest how the images of the archive could be creatively deployed and marketed to access new customers.
- Prepare a document to analyse the above processes and propositions, while estimating appropriate costs.
- Sharing some blog posts, describing their work and detailing their experiences for the blog of the Centre for Digital Skills on Visual and Material Culture.
The internship requires 75 hours of work or 2 full-time weeks. The intern is expected to be located at the company’s premises in Hastings, St Leonards on-Sea, East Sussex, and a stipend will support travel or staying at the location. Exact times/days will have to be agreed with the company. The intern will be supervised by the managing director of the company and Dr Karina Rodriguez Echavarria at the University of Brighton.
The successful intern would be asked to participate in an optional evaluation reflecting on their placement and skills development in order to inform a potential future Centre for Digital Skills in Visual and Material Culture.
It is expected that the criteria below regarding knowledge, qualifications and interest will be met by the successful candidate. It is essential they have:
- Experience in handling archival material
- Some experience in the digitisation of archival material, and management of digital 2D raster images
- Interest in heritage/archival collections and the creative sector
- Ability to travel to Hastings, St Leonards on-Sea for the duration of the placement
- Excellent communication and team working skills
- Interest in learning digital skills
It would be desirable if they have:
- A degree or MA in the Arts, Design or Humanities (or working towards completion)
- Experience in archival research
- Interest in market research for the creative sector
The deadline for applications is by the end of Friday the 5th of May, 2023. Please send your CV and an expression of interest with evidence of how you meet the requirements for the internship to: K.Rodriguez@brighton.ac.uk
Interviews will be held online in the w/c on the 15th of May, 2023.